If you have never been to Long Beach, Wa I highly recommend you make a special trip out there. That is where Jesse and I went this last weekend and we had a blast. We stayed at the Adrift Hotel. It is literally right on the beach and they are pet friendly so bring your animals along with you. 🙂 They had so many extra amenities including beach cruisers that you can borrow for free and cruise around the beach. Jesse and I went for a 7 mile bike ride with our dogs and we all loved it!! Everything was so beautiful, on one side of us was the forest with all these massive pine trees and on the other side was the ocean! We also took our dogs for a nice long walk on the beach at sunset and I can’t even begin to tell you how gorgeous that was!! We shopped around their cute little town, I beat Jesse in shuffleboard and he beat me in ping pong, we listened to live music while dining at the Adrift’s restaurant “Pickled Fish,” we drank beer from a local brewery called Fort George (literally they have the best beer I ever tasted) and we just relaxed and enjoyed being away on a mini vacation. I wish I was still there, relaxing and sipping a beer on the beach, but I guess we all have to come back to reality at some point.
Anyway, before I keep rambling on and on about my vacation I will tell you about a delightful dinner I made the other night. I call it Chicken Cordon Blue Casserole. You know I have a love for casseroles so anything I can make into a casserole I will. 🙂 This recipe is great if you like chicken cordon blues. It’s fast to make, you pop it in the oven for a short period of time so dinner is ready quickly, and everyone is sure to enjoy it. Try it out; let me know what you think!
- 2 C Ham, diced into bite sized pieces (I have a big chunk of ham I bought around Christmas time and have been keeping it in the freezer chipping away at it, so if you don’t have a ham, I suggest either buying a smaller sized ham at the grocery store, or you can also use the deli ham.)
- 2 C Chicken, about 2 smaller sized chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- ~1-2 C Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 TBS. Butter
- 2 TBS. Flour
- 1 C Milk
- 1 TBS fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- Pinch of paprika
- 3 TBS. melted butter
- ~ ¾ C Italian style bread crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a square baking dish. I don’t know the exact dimensions of my square baking dish, sorry!
- Place your shredded chicken into your casserole dish first. Season with salt and pepper. Then add your diced up ham on top of your chicken.
- Sprinkle the Swiss cheese on top of the ham and make sure to cover everything with the cheese.
- Next in a pot, melt your 2 TBS. butter on medium heat. Once your butter is melted, you are going to make a rue by mixing your flour and butter together. Once your flour and butter are mixed together, they will form sort of a paste.
- Then slowly add your milk into your rue. Make sure you are constantly mixing to avoid flour clumps from forming.
- Once all your milk is added, squeeze in your lemon juice, mustard, salt/pepper and a pinch of paprika
- Let it cook until the milk thickens up. Once it has thickened, pour it over your chicken, ham and cheese. Make sure to fill it only about half way up the casserole dish. You don’t want to over fill it because then your casserole will be kind of runny. I made the mistake of adding to much liquid to my casserole. It still tasted great but it just was a little runnier then I would have liked.
- Finally, take your last 3 TBS melted butter and mix in your bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the casserole and pop in the oven for about 30 mins.