Now that we are approaching the end of 2013 and about to start a whole new year, I like to think about all the things that have happened through the year. This year was the first whole year we have spent in Washington. Jesse and I were just talking the other day about how blessed we feel that we are able to live in Washington. It has done so many wonderful things for our marriage, like make us stronger in love and closer to each other, and we feel that God brought us out here to grow us in a more faithful relationship with him. 2013 has also blessed us with Jesse finding his career path of accounting. He was teaching before but was never a big fan of that. So when we first moved here Jesse was flip flopping around jobs trying to figure out what he enjoyed best. He landed on accounting at this awesome company called Zulily. Every day he actually enjoys work, and wants to pursue accounting as a full time career now, which makes this hopeful stay-at-home-mom very glad that I will have that opportunity when we have kids. This year has also given us some great friends and a great community group. We feel like we can share anything with these Godly people and they are so given and caring towards us! J Jesse and I have gone on so many adventures in 2013 and we are soooo looking forward to all the adventures and new places we will discover in 2014. Overall this year has been one that Jesse and I will surely remember forever!!
Now on to FOOD!!! This meal I made the other day doesn’t have a name so I just call it Sweet Potato with BBQ Shredded Chicken. Yeah….I call it that because that is pretty much all the ingredients involved. It’s so easy, so delicious, and hey, it’s even a little bit healthy with that sweet potato in there! J Try this meal out; let me know what you think!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 strips of bacon
- BBQ sauce (as much as you like)
- Shredded Cheese
- Diced green onions
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash your sweet potatoes and poke them with a fork many times, all over. This will help the steam escape from your potato.
- Then wrap your potato in tin foil and place right in the oven on the top rack.
- After the potatoes have been in the oven for about 20 mins, place your chicken breast in a baking dish and cover with tin foil. Pop that into the oven also.
- Once your chicken is done, should be about 45-60 mins, take it out of the oven and place on a cutting board.
- With two forks, shred your chicken.
- Place all your shredded chicken back into your baking dish and pour as much BBQ sauce all over it as you like. Mix the BBQ sauce, a dash of salt and pepper in with the chicken and place it back in the oven (with tin foil covering it.)
- While your chicken is warming back up in the oven, place two strips of bacon on a baking dish and place in the oven. These bacon strips will cook really fast so make sure you watch them.
- Once bacon is done, place on a paper towel to drain the excess grease. Then break them up into bite sized pieces.
- At this point, your chicken should be warmed up, your sweet potatoes should be cooked through and your bacon is all shredded up, so now it’s time to assemble.
- Take your sweet potato out of the tin foil and cut it open. Place your shredded BBQ chicken in the sweet potato and top it off with some bacon pieces, shredded cheese and green onions!