I have another winner dinner here! It’s called Ham and Peas Mac n’ Cheese….that totally rhymes…haha! It’s that time of year when ham (like my totally favorite meat!) goes on sale and I love to cook anything I can with this delicious meat. I bought a pretty big chunk of ham and I just cut off any amount that I need for my particular meal, and I put the rest in the freezer. I know for Thanksgiving, most people enjoy a turkey for dinner, but if I had my choice I would eat ham and nothing but ham all night long…ok ok my obsession is not that sever, I just never get to have ham except for this time of year. 😉 One of Jesse’s favorite vegetables is peas and I thought peas and ham would taste great together so I threw it together in pasta, and voila, a delicious, speedy, dinner that people of all ages will devour! Seriously Jesse and I were fighting over who would be able to take the leftovers for lunch the next day because we both loved it so much. Try it out and let me know if you like it as much as Jesse and I did. 🙂
- ½ lb. pasta noodles
- 2 TBS Butter
- 2 TBS Flour
- 1 C Milk
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- ~2 C Shredded Cheese (add more if you like)
- ½ C Plain Greek yogurt
- 1 C Frozen Peas
- 1 ½ C Ham, diced into bite sized pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cook your pasta noodles according to package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt your butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Once your butter is melted, add in your flour and mix mix mix really well until the flour is all dissolved into the butter and there are no more chunks of flour.
- Then once you have that all mixed together well, keep mixing and slowly add in your milk. Once all your milk is added in turn your heat down to medium low and let the milk thicken up. I like to add the salt, pepper to the milk at this point.
- Once your pasta noodles are done, drain and place back in the pot, make sure the burner is not on where the pot is.
- Pour your thickened milk mixture, peas, ham, shredded cheese, cinnamon and Greek yogurt in the pot with the noodles and mix everything together.
- Place your pasta into your baking dish, sprinkle some more shredded cheese all over the top, and pop in the oven for about 15-20 mins. Just until the cheese is nice and melty and your peas and ham are warm.
(He is a good helper, chopping up ham for me!)