All the leaves are changing beautiful colors now. I stare out the window on my bus ride to work because I’m just in awe of all the colors. It’s cool to see some trees have not completely lost their green color, so they have green, and yellow leaves mixed together. Some trees are the brightest red I have ever seen and some trees are mixed with red, yellow and orange. Fall is wonderful for many reasons that I have already mentioned, BUT I have recently discovered that fall is all about one of my very favorite fruits! Apples!! Fall is when apples are in season. Jesse and I have a thing for picking free fruit wherever we can. Last weekend we went around our neighborhood and tried to spot all the apple trees we could pick fruit off of. Since I had a bunch of apples, I cooked a yummy dinner with one of them, I made Apple Chicken Curry. Yeah, it seems a bit weird, but the apples and curry are a great combination. Serve it over some jasmine rice and you have one tasty fall meal. Try it out, let me know what you think!
- 1 Chicken breast, cut up into bite sized pieces
- 1 Apple, cut up into pieces (I used Fuji, but any would be fine)
- ½ C green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ Yellow onion, chopped
- 3 TBS butter
- 3 TBS Flour
- ½ C chicken broth
- ½ C Milk
- 3 TBS Yellow Curry powder (feel free to add more to your liking)
- Jasmine rice to serve on top of
- Place your cut up chicken and onion in a well-oiled frying pan on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Once the chicken is cooked, add the green bell pepper and diced up apple. Set on low heat and let cook for about 5-8 mins until the bell peppers are soft.
- Once your chicken, onion, bell peppers and apples are finished, remove from frying pan. In the empty frying pan, add your butter on medium heat and let it melt. Once melted, add in your flour and stir really well together so there are no more flour chunks.
- Once the flour and butter are well incorporated, add in your ½ C chicken broth, stirring constantly, then slowly add in your milk. Mix everything together well and let thicken up. Stir occasionally.
- Once thick, add back to the frying pan your chicken, onion, bell pepper and apple mixture. Mix in your yellow curry powder (add more if you like). Once everything is back to nice and warm serve over some jasmine rice!