There is this delicious little restaurant in Arizona called Cornish Pasty. It is located right where my old job use to be near the ASU campus in Tempe and Jesse and I would go there often for dinner. They serve these extremely tasty calzone things but they are in this flaky, buttery, warm bread packed full of amazing ingredients, spices and sauces. My favorite pasty to get is the italian style one and Jesse’s favorite is the Shepherd’s Pie one. They have a huge selection of all kinds of pasties and you can also watch them make them. I was thinking of that place last night, because I miss it, but also because the Shepherd’s pie pasty was delicious and I wanted to make something like it for dinner. So I may not have had the right ingredients to make the breading part, but I did have the ingredients to make a Shepherd’s Pie, so that is exactly what I made last night for dinner. One of Jesse’s favorite dinners is Shepherd’s pie because eating your vegetables mixed with your potatoes and beef for some reason taste so good, ha! This recipe is super easy, super-fast, and of course super tasty!
- ~ 3 C ground beef
- 3 C frozen mixed veggies
- Mashed Potatoes
- Shredded cheese
- Cook your ground beef in a small frying pan on medium high heat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley and cook until no more pink is showing.
- I used a pretty small baking dish to fit this dinner in because it is only serving two people (I think the size of mine was somewhere around 6 cups.) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- No it’s time to start your layering. First, place your cooked meat on the bottom of your baking dish and spread it all out. Then layer on top of that your frozen mixed veggies. Sprinkle some more of your salt, pepper, and parsley and even some of your shredded cheese.
- I used mashed potatoes from a quick instant pack, but making your own mashed potatoes will work perfect for this too. On top of your veggie layer, put your mashed potatoes. You want a nice think layer of potatoes; I’d say at least two inches thick.
- Then sprinkle the top with a little more cheese, and pop in the oven for about 20 mins until its nice and hot.