Lately I have been doing a lot more baking, and I couldn’t be happier! Baking has always been my passion and I’m so lucky I have a hubby who has that sweet tooth necessary for my baking addiction. Blackberries are in season, and they really are ALL over the place here, literally every street corner is a blackberry bush, so I can’t help but pick lots of free blackberries and make sweet treats with them. First I made a blackberry pie, then I made a blackberry cobbler and this weekend I’m hoping to get a family recipe for Jesse’s favorite blackberry cobbler so I can make it again. I also have been baking lots of banana breads, apple chips, fruit roll ups and my favorite: granola bars! Jesse and I eat granola bars all the time actually. They are some of my favorite things to snack on in between meals. We always buy the giant box at Costco and it lasts us a very long time. But since I have been on this baking high, I decided I would try to make my own granola bars, and maybe even save us some money in the meantime (not to mention they are healthier! Bonus!) I looked online for quite a while for the perfect recipe. I came across one particular one that is a no bake granola bar. So I changed a few pieces of the recipe, made them, and then devoured them! They were great and Jesse loved them too!! Try this delicious recipe out and let me know what you think!
- 2 ½ C of Rice Krispies (or, of course, you can use the off brand of this cereal)
- 2 C quick oats
- ¾ C honey
- ¾ C Brown sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 2/3 C Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- ½ C Chocolate Chips (plus another ¼ C for melting)
- Also if you would like to add anything else into your granola bars ex: dried fruit, coconut, raisins, nuts etc..
- Grease with butter a 9×13 baking dish.
- Combine your rice krispies, oats and any fruit, nuts, raisins etc that you want to add into a big mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, over medium low heat, stir together your honey, brown sugar and salt until it comes to a complete boil for 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir in your peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Once you have your wet and dry ingredients combined well, add in your chocolate chips.
- Press into your 9×13 pan and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, melt your extra ¼ C of chocolate chips and drizzle melted chocolate over your granola bars.
- Place in fridge for about 12-24 hours. Feel free to keep these granola bars in the fridge (or freeze them) periodically. If they get to warm they fall apart a little.