Last night for dinner I made another staple in the Johnson household. Jesse and I can both agree that this pasta is a great compromise between his love of Mexican food and my not-so-love of Mexican food. It’s called Enchilada Pasta. I really love making this dish because you just throw everything into a pot and voila, a delicious comforting dinner!
Jesse and I took our dogs for a walk yesterday in the beautiful 80 degree, sunny weather. I think Prudence gets a lot of pent up energy and if you don’t take her for a walk everyday she gets very angry! So we try to get her exercise in every day. After our walk, I came home and threw this dinner together so Jesse and I could watch this mini TV series we are obsessed with. It’s a Stephen King book that has turned into a mini-series called Under the Dome. It’s suspenseful and the episode always ends on some sort of cliff hanger. It normally comes on TV on Monday nights, but Jesse and I usually watch it on the computer on Tuesdays while we eat dinner. Luckily we have been able to watch this show at a more normal time in the evenings this week because I have been working the same schedule as Jesse. My schedule at work has changed for this week so we leave to ride the bus together in the morning and we come home together too. I typically start later in the day and get home later, but I have been fortunate enough to be cross-training at my job so I was put on a different schedule.
Enchilada pasta is a really great dinner and I highly recommend trying it out. Let me know what you think!
- ½ lb. of Pasta noodles (some sort of Penne or even egg noodles)
- Ground Beef (I didn’t measure how much ground beef because it’s up to you how much you like to put in your pasta.)
- 1 C Corn
- 1 C Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 C Salsa
- 1 ½ C Green Enchilada sauce
- ½ can of green chilies (I used half of the small can)
- ½ C plain Greek yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Sprinkle of chili powder
- Cook your pasta according to the packaged directions.
- Brown you ground beef with salt/pepper and a dash of chili powder in a frying pan on medium heat until it is cooked all the way through. Once it is finished, remove from pan and set on a plate with a paper towel to drain the excess grease.
- In the same frying pan on medium low heat, put your corn, black beans, green chilies and salsa. (feel free to add more salt/pepper and chili powder) Let warm up for about 5 minutes. Then add your green enchilada sauce, ground beef and about 1 C of shredded cheese.
- Let those all simmer together until your pasta noodles are done, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once noodles are done, drain and add them back to the pot. Pour the green enchilada mixture in the pot with the noodles, as well as your yogurt and about 1 C more of shredded cheese.
- Mix well to incorporate everything.