What’s a better way to spend your evening then picking blackberries on the side of the freeway?! That is exactly what Jesse and I did yesterday after we got home from work. Our bus drops us off right by the freeway and there are a ton of blackberry bushes just waiting to be picked! So we gathered a really great amount of blackberries, went home, washed them, and made a blackberry pie YUM! It was also my first time making my own pie crust. I didn’t want to run out to the store to pick up pie crust, so I just made my own, and it sure was tasty! Homemade pie crust, with fresh picked blackberries made for one tasty dessert last night! 🙂 Jesse and I want to go and pick more blackberries later this week. They are literally everywhere you look outside, which I’m thankful for! Now I can’t wait to get home tonight to eat some more pie!
It was pretty crazy when we got home last night because I was starving and ready to make dinner, but I also wanted to get the pie started. So I was super mega multitasking and Jesse was helping out wherever I would let him, ha! Good thing dinner was relatively easy to make, and so was the pie. I made a Chicken and Asparagus casserole. I have to be honest and say that neither Jesse or I ate more than one helping of this dish, but that’s not because it didn’t taste great (because it was tasty) but because we both wanted a big helping of pie. I hope that you can enjoy this dish and maybe even a blackberry pie for dessert too. 🙂
- 1 chicken breast, cut into bit size pieces
- ½ lb. of Rigatoni pasta noodles (or any noodle really)
- 1 bundle of asparagus, cut into big chunks
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 C Milk
- 2 TBS butter
- 2 TBS flour
- Shredded cheese
- Sprinkle of garlic powder
- Sprinkle parsley
- Sprinkle of salt/pepper
- ½ C Italian style bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook your pasta according to the packaged directions. Before you put your pasta in the boiling water, put your asparagus in it, and cook it for about 5-10mins. Remove asparagus and cook noodles in the asparagus water.
- Place your cut up chicken pieces into a frying pan with olive oil. Sprinkle with your seasonings, and cook all the way through until there is no pink showing.
- Once chicken is done, remove it from the frying pan. In the same frying pan, melt your butter and add your flour. Stir it up so all the chunky pieces are dissolved. Then add your milk and cream of mushroom soup. Stir until it thickens up. Once thick, add your cooked chicken and cooked asparagus. Stir occasionally.
- Once noodles are done, drain the water and add your cream of mushroom mixture to the noodles. Incorporate it all really well.
- Take your bread crumbs and pour them into a bowl and mix them with about 1 TBS of olive oil.
- Now take a casserole dish, spray with cooking spray, and put about half your noodles in. On top of those noodles, sprinkle some bread crumbs and cheese.
- Then layer the rest of your noodles on top and sprinkle the rest of your bread crumbs and add more cheese.
- Place in the oven for about 10-15 mins.