Why is it still raining outside when it is pretty much the end of June?! Ugh sometimes Seattle makes me angry…. Just a few days ago it was beautiful, sunny, warm, refreshing, and I was happy! Now it’s cold, rainy, windy, cloudy, and I’m sad. It has been rainy and cloudy for a few days now, and it needs to go away! Seattle likes to tease you with a few days of summer sprinkled throughout the week. I get all excited, lie out in the sun, play with the dogs at the dog park, drink lemonade and eat popsicles, just to have my happy mood rained on (literally) a few short days later. WHY Seattle?! Can’t you just stay sunny!!! OK OK, I know this weekend is supposed to be in the 80’s, I will patiently wait for just three more days…..But once the 4th of July comes, I will not except anything but sunny, warm, beach weather!
Any who, since it was chilly last night, and REALLY rainy (ok there was a tad bit of thunder last night and that made me VERY happy!!! Thunder hardly ever happens here! It was a bit nostalgic.) I decided to use the warm oven to make a warm meal for dinner. Unfortunately once it gets to the end of the month around the Johnson household, ingredients for dinners become less and less ha! Like I said, we only shop once a month, so we have to stretch all our food to the end of the month. I do plan meals every month, but sometimes I run out of butter too early, or I’ll run out of ground beef (I didn’t buy any this month because I bought it the month before) but mostly we run out of things like cheese. So last night’s dinner was an improve recipe to what I originally was going to make. It still was tasty tasty, and I made lots extra so that we could bring it for lunches this week! We enjoyed it while watching Under the Dome. Yes we are big Stephen King fans!!! Jesse has been reading like a freakin TON of his books lately, so when we found out his mini-series was starting, we were all over it! I admit, it was a little gross to watch while eating dinner, so next time we will probably eat dinner BEFORE the show ha! I hope you enjoy my Buffalo Chicken Mac n’ Cheese!
Ingredients: feeds ~2-3 people
- ½ lb. Pasta noodles (I used penne, but any short noodle, like elbow or rigatoni would work)
- 1 Chicken breast, cut up into bite sized pieces
- ½ C Buffalo sauce (feel free to add more if you like spicy)
- ½ C Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 TBS. flour
- 1 TBS Mustard
- 1 C Milk
- 1 ½ – 2 C cheese (depending on how cheesy you like it)
- ½ C Bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Cook your pasta noodles according to the packaged directions.
- In a small frying pan, place your bit sized chicken, sprinkle with salt, pepper, parsley and let it cook through until there is no more pink showing. Then remove from the heat.
- In a medium sized frying pan, on medium heat, melt your butter. Stir in your flour until there are not more clumps.
- Then add in your mustard and stir until well incorporated. (It is important to make sure there are not flour clumps, so that your sauce doesn’t have chunks of flour in it. Sometimes it helps to use a wooden spoon to mix the flour, butter and mustard till its smooth)
- Whisk in your milk, (slowly add your milk) and then add in your buffalo sauce. Continuously whisk this until it thickens. ~5-8mins
- Then once thick, add in your cheese, yogurt and chicken, stir them until well incorporated and the sauce is nice and smooth.
- Once your pasta is drained and back in the pot, pour your sauce over the pasta. Stir your noodles so the sauce coats ever noodle!
- Then place your noodles into a casserole dish.
- Melt about 1 TBS of butter in the microwave. Once melted add your bread crumbs to it, and stir well. Then sprinkle your buttered bread crumbs on top of your noodles in the casserole dish.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 mins so that the bread crumbs can get nice and golden brown. Then EAT!