Every month I make a dinner menu. I think of/ find roughly 15-20 dinners and put them on a word document, print it out, and stick it on our refrigerator for the month. We only go grocery shopping once a month so whatever is on the dinner menu, we shop for once a month. Then, every night Jesse and I take turns picking out which dinner we would like to have from the menu. Of course, when Jesse saw this Cheesy Chicken Tator Tot Casserole on the dinner menu, he picked it first for dinner! He “claims” this is his favorite dinner, but he is a very indecisive man, so when he says this is his “favorite” dinner, I think to myself, but you said that about last night’s dinner….hmmm… oh well, it’s still a sweet thing to say!
This is made in the crockpot, so it’s perfect for busy, hot summer days. Its super easy and hardly requires any clean up after! I’m a little OCD with things being clean, so when a dinner requires very little mess, I’m all for it! This meal is also great because it requires very little measuring of ingredients. You just throw things into the crockpot and viola, yummy tasty dinner 🙂
Ingredients: (My crockpot is just a basic 6-quart model)
- 1 bag of frozen tator tots
- ~2-3 strips of Bacon, cooked and broken into little pieces (you can also buy bacon bits if you like)
- ~1 chicken breast, cooked, and cut up into bite size pieces
- 1 can (10.5oz) of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 2 TBS of milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- ~ Green onions (I’m not able to give a measurement because I just cut up a few stalks and garnish this dish with them, so really it just depends on how much you like green onions)
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray, all over the bottom and sides of the crockpot too, a good amount, because the tator tots will stick to the crockpot.
- In a separate bowl mix together the cream of chicken, the Greek yogurt, and the milk.
- Next, put a layer of the frozen tator tots, at the bottom of the crockpot. Just enough to cover the bottom (its ok if there are a few laying on top of one another)
- Then, sprinkle some of the bacon bits on top of the tator tots. (If you just love bacon, feel free to put as much as you like!)
- On top of the tator tots, take a spatula and spread the cream of chicken, yogurt, and milk mixture. Just enough to cover the tator tots, should be about half the mixture.
- Then add your cooked chicken. All of it can go on top of the cream of chicken, yogurt, milk mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add some green onions.
- Add some more of your bacon bits and sprinkle about ¾ cup of cheese.
- Then repeat. First with another layer of tator tots (should be the rest of your bag), spread the rest of your cream of chicken, yogurt, milk mixture, add the rest of your bacon, and add some more green onions. Top it off with about a cup of shredded cheese. Sprinkle with some pepper and put the lid on it and let it cook for 2-3 hours on high.